Avengers: Doomsday - Trailer Review
The official Avenges Doomsday trailer dropped and it's time to talk about it!
Now I feel like I'm one of the perfect people to talk about this because...
I didn't see the individual character teasers they released leading up to this official trailer
I didn't see any leaked videos or read any articles talking about the trailers, characters, behind the scenes, whatever!
I KID YOU NOT...I had NO idea that the x-men or steve rogers were gonna be in this movie until today!
Anyone remember that long livestream video Marvel did that revealed all the names of the cast and characters? yeah I literally forgot about that until JUST NOW!
While watching this trailer
oh sorry, you can see it here:
It reminded me of all the Marvel movies and tv shows I watched and literally forgot about.
Now that's never happened to me before. When the infinity war trailer came out, my God when that trailer came out, it changed lives. I remembered all the characters, they're movies, plot points & post credits like the back of my hand.
I'm so sad to say that's not the case with this trailer.
While I am "excited" I guess, it's just not the same and that's absolutely because of Marvel's output since Endgame.
The only movies I remember, that stuck with me, were Shang-chi & Moonknight. Pretty sure we're not Moonknight (as it was a series) in Doomsday, we are getting Shang-chi but this is our first time seeing him since his debut movie back in 2021! Pretty sure we had gotten all 3 ironman movies in that time frame!
I did read in a recent article with Fiege talking about his failure to launch Blade, that the focus became more about Disney+ and streaming and quantity or quality. And YEAH! we absolutely saw that because the streaming shows ALONE was too much! I don't know even know if we'll see those characters in this movie!
It's crazy to think that the mastermind, essentially, behind Ironman - Avengers Endgame movies, allowed everything that happened after Endgame...to happen.
From Far From Home - Spider-man: Brand new day...it's crazy how the movies & characters feel so disconnected you know? And I truly believe that is why this trailer is just not hitting.
There's no defined team, characters, threat really or heck even a musical cue! They're still using the OG avengers musical cue from the first movie! It feel its starting to lose it affect now.
And when I talk about no defined threat, I mean, I get it...you bank all money & time on Kang but then something happens with your actor so now you have to pivot. Honestly, I think it would have been better for them to continue with the Kang threat/storyline because it seems like they knew where they were going story and even character wise and just recast.
Recast Kang with more established actor that can bring that threat (for some reason when I was typing that, Gerald Bulter came to mind. I was thinking of his performance from Law abiding Citizen but honestly it would probably never work lol 😅)
With Doom...I don't understand what he wants, I don't understand why he's a threat and why the "avengers" are gonna have to go up against him. While I didn't know the full extent of Thanos's plan and what he wanted at the time, it was clearly established what wanted (the infinity stones) and that our main heroes were getting in his way.
So yeah, this trailer didn't make me excited, it didn't hit like the Infinity War or Endgame trailer, heck even the civil war trailer. I thought I would see more reaction videos saying so but it's mostly just people on twitter reminiscing about the infinity war trailer, asking "where is this character" and making (actually really hilarious) jokes about what the heck do the thunderbolts think their gonna do?
oh shoot, I didn't even mention Shuri...!
yeah I forgot about her and I'm pretty sure marvel did until this point...
Honestly I don't know how this movie is gonna do, I really don't know how it's going to be received. I'm sure it will be the top movie opening weekend, it is opening the same day as Dune Part 3 but I can't see it not beating that movie.
I don't think it's gonna make a $1 billon but who knows. I feel it may depend on the Spider-Man: Brand New Day & it's post credit scene (let's be honest, we all know it's gonna have one). I think it also depends on the movie, it's post credit scene and how it might lead into Avengers Secret Wars but hey, what do I know?
Would love to hear you guys thoughts on the trailer if you seen it! I think you should and then avoid after 😂 I'm definitely gonna try!